Monday March 28

There are 12,882 new cases of Covid-19 today.

Of these new cases, 445 are in Northland, 2,300 are in Auckland, 1,215 in Waikato, 662 in Bay of Plenty, 360 in Lakes, 701 in Hawke's Bay, 728 in MidCentral, 291 in Whanganui, 544 in Taranaki, 179 in Tairāwhiti, 176 in Wairarapa, 918 in Capital and Coast, 498 in Hutt Valley, 506 in Nelson Marlborough, 2,119 in Canterbury, 235 in South Canterbury, 968 in Southern, 32 in West Coast and 5 in unknown locations.

The total number of active cases is 112,701.

The Ministry of Health defines active cases as those identified in the last seven days and not yet classified as recovered.


Hospitalisations and Covid-19 related deaths

11 people with Covid-19 have died, bringing the total to date to 269.

Of the nine deaths the Ministry has full details for, two were from the Auckland region, five from Waikato and one each from MidCentral and Nelson Marlborough.

Three people were in their 70s, three in their 80s and three people were in their 90s.

Seven were men and two were women.

The Ministry of Health reports on deaths of all people who die within 28 days of testing positive for Covid-19.

There are 861 people in hospital, with 21 of those people in intensive care or high dependency units.

The average age of people currently in hospital is 59.




There have been 1,479 PCR tests taken in the past 24 hours.

There have been 22,873 RATs taken in the past 24 hours.

If you take a RAT you must report the result, positive or negative. This can be done online through My Covid Record, or by calling 0800 222 478 between 8am and 8pm. 



96.3 percent of New Zealand's eligible population have had the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine, and 95.1 percent have had a second dose.

72.7 percent of the eligible population have had a booster shot.


Top image: A woman doing a rapid antigen test at home. Photo: AzmanL/Getty Images


More stories:

Covid update March 27: 10,239 cases, 4 deaths

This Tauranga church is giving its land back to Māori

State of emergency declared in Tairāwhiti as severe floods hit